Encroachment Permits

(COVID-19) City Hall Shut Down Update (May 2020)

During the City Hall shut down period through May 31, 2020, the City will issue encroachment permits to essential work that as defined by the latest Contra Costa County Health Order No. HO-COVID19-09 (County Health Order) dated April 29, 2020. Given that City Hall will remain closed during this time, all encroachment permit application requests shall be submitted electronically as specified in the instructions below.

All inspection requests shall be made at least 48 hours in advanced of start of work by contacting (925) 671-5232, so the appropriate inspection staff can be scheduled accordingly. All approved construction related activities shall follow Construction Safety Protocols as described under Appendix B-1 or Appendix B-2 as referenced in the County Health Order, whichever is applicable.



Encroachment permits are required whenever work is proposed within the public right-of-way or easement.

Typical examples of work include:
  • Trenching across public right of way for installation of water, sewer, storm drain, cable, and other underground utilities
  • Construction of curb, gutter, sidewalk, driveway, and roadway pavement
  • Water monitoring and extraction
  • Banner permit for City light poles
  • Transportation
  • Erecting or maintaining a post, sign, pole, or fence
View guidelines for improvements in the right of way.

Permits & Fees

You can download the encroachment permit or transportation permit application forms at the provided links at the bottom of this page.  All completed applications and backup documentation (including but not limited to any work plan, traffic control plan, other agency permits, and insurance certification) shall be submitted electronically to the City permit email at Engineeringpermits@pleasanthillca.org.  You may also contact an encroachment permit representative at (925) 671-5264.  Once your application packet is verified to be complete, a City representative will contact you and provide you with a customized fee estimate based on your proposed scope of work and anticipated inspection needs.  Permit fees can be made via check or credit card at the City Engineering counter during regular business hours.  All incomplete permit applications will be rejected. 

The Engineering Division strives to review and approve residential permit applications within two working days.  Review time for utility related permit applications will be longer, and applications will be processed in the order that they are received. 

Encroachment Permit Information Pamphlet
Encroachment Permit Application Form
Grading Permit Informational Handout
Grading, Site Development and Drainage Permit Application Form
Transportation Permit Application Form
View the Fee Schedule