Police Officers work 12-hour shifts as part of a Team concept. Officers can serve in patrol, traffic, investigations, and K-9 assignments. Other opportunities include Regional SWAT, Mobile Field Force, 10851 Task Force, CSI, Regional Major Accident Investigation and Enforcement Team, FTO, and Firearms and Force Options Teams.
The City offers a competitive compensation and benefits program:
- Incentive Award Bonus of up to $20,000 for lateral hires: $5,000 upon employment; $5,000 upon successful completion of probation; and up to $10,000 upon successful completion of 5 years of service
- Salary: $6,539 to $8,867 for Academy Graduate/Lateral and $5,433 for Trainee (up to $10,197 with incentives)
- Vacation: Twelve days per year for the first three years, increasing with service years
- Sick Leave: Earned at the rate of one day per month, with no maximum accrual
- Holidays: Thirteen paid holidays per year
- Health Benefit: Choice of coverage with Kaiser or Blue Shield. Employees pay 20% of the medical premium on a pre-tax basis or may have $400/month redirected to deferred compensation in-lieu of coverage
- Dental & Vision coverage: City paid for employee and eligible dependents
- Life insurance and long-term disability: Paid in full by the City
- Retirement: CalPERS enrollment 3% @ 55 (Classic) or 2.7% @ 57 (PEPRA New Member)
- Uniform allowance: $1,192 per year, adjusted annually per cost of living
- ICMA Deferred Compensation & Roth IRA: Voluntary plans available
- ICMA Retiree Health Savings Plan: City contributes $100.45 per month
- Educational Degree Incentive: Intermediate POST Certificate 1.25%, Bachelor's Degree 5%, MA/MS Degree 7.5%
- Educational Expense Reimbursement: Up to $500 reimbursement per semester or quarter for books, technology upgrades and tuition, and $2,000 per calendar year overall
- Special Duty Assignment Pay: Canine Officer, Evidence/Forensics, and Motorcycle Officer; Master Officer/Corporal/Sergeant Program: 5% Pay Differential after achieving the Master Program criteria
- Special Compensation: 2.5% Shift Differential Pay; 5% Detective Premium Pay; Acting Pay rate included in Overtime Rate
- Bilingual Pay: $75/month
The City operates under the merit system, not Civil Service. Employees are not covered by Social Security.
For more information, including detailed position information and qualifications, click here to view the brochure for this position.
To apply, please complete a City of Pleasant Hill Employment Application.